|Army Burn Hall School & Collage 75 years
By syed kamal hussain shah
Army Burn Hall School & Collage 75 years
Burn Hall takes its origin from country house in County Durham, in Croxdale; the point where the river Browney joins the river Wear. Burn is a Scottish term for a smallish river or largish stream, hence the name 'Burn Hall'. The house was designed by Ignatius Bonomi for Bryan John Salvin and completed in 1834. The house was acquired by St. Joseph's Society for Foreign Missions which established a school for boys in the hall. This seminary, Burn Hall used to train boys as missionary priests till 1995. The Mill Hill Missionaries, officially known as the St. Joseph’s Missionary Society of Mill Hill, are a catholic seminary founded in 1866 in the Mill Hill locality of north London.
Having expanded their activities to South Asia in 1875, the Mill Hill Missionaries took charge of the mission to Kashmir in 1884. After successfully establishing St. Joseph's School at Baramulla in 1905 they founded another school called the 'Senior Cambridge School' at Srinagar in 1942 and later named it Burn Hall probably in 1943.
After a span of nine years the Mill Hill Missionaries returned in April 1956 to re-establish 'Burn Hall School', in a building called "The Willows" at Gupkar Road Srinagar. The school motto is 'Industria Floremus', which in Latin means 'In toil we shall flourish.' However, they continued to administer and expand Burn Hall in Abbottabad too, till 1976.
In 1977, the charge of Burn Hall School in Kashmir was handed over to the Capuchin Fathers, while the Burn Hall School at Abbottabad was sold to Pakistan Army and has since become 'Army Burn Hall College'. Currently there are three Burn Halls, one in Srinagar (IHK) and two campuses in Abbottabad. Though there is no interaction between the schools of Abbottabadad and Srinagar, but they share a common history. .
The College celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1993 and Diamond Jubilee in March 2018. Currently there are three Burn Halls, one in Srinagar (IHK) and two campuses in Abbottabad. Though there is no interaction between the schools of Abbottabadad and Srinagar, but they share a common history.
As Burn Hall has gone through various transformations since its inception. From 1948 to 1977, Burn Hall had been o?ering co-education. In 1977 it was segregated and since then it has been providing space to both boys and girls on separate campuses. Regarding academic degrees, initially it o?ered Senior Cambridge at Srinagar and continued with the same stream until 1963. Apart from Senior Cambridge, in 1963, School was linked with Peshawar Board for SSC. In 1981, Brig Bashir Ahmed Malik, the then Principal upgraded to HSSC level and got it affiliated with Federal Board (FBISE). After two years in 1983, Brig Abdul Sattar shifted SSC from Peshawar Board to FBISE.
In 2002-3, A-levels at ABHC was introduced during the tenure of Brig Mahmud Bashir Bajwa. Cambridge Section of the College consists of O/A levels. The syllabus is prescribed by the University of Cambridge and is revised every two years, with a view to bringing about changes, to keep the students abreast with the latest developments and optimum enhancement of their intellectual faculties. The O/A Level curriculum places emphasis on broad and balanced study across a wide range of subjects.
Army Burn Hall Colleges are celebrating their Diamond Jubilee, on completing 75 years of establishment from 3 to 5 March, 2018.
© Article from AsiaFront.com - Asian News Network